the madcap laughs

...and he sees fairies dancing on the lawn

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Please don't let me hit the ground
























it says: Up, down, turn around; please don't let me hit the ground
and along the wings: and I've never met anyone quite like you before

Nach der Deutscheprüfung habe ich dieses Bild gemalt. Ich weiß nicht, warum ich habe das gemalt, aber ich glaube, dass es ist ein schönes Bild. Na ja, ich male selten ein gutes Bild, und vielleicht das ist entweder nicht gut.

Anyway. Enough with bad German. Maybe I will try to write as often in German as possible, so that I won't forget it- I am done with my German course basically, and I don't see myself having extra money or time doing higher level German courses in the future, that is, if I get into the theatre program in SFU and will return after summer.

Please don't let me hit the ground. Bitte, ich will nicht fallen. Nie. I don't care whatever life I will have, as long as it is related to theatre, just don't close every door to me. Don K. (a theatre prof) came to our acting class on Tuesday and talked about the audition stuff. Around 30-40 people audition for it, and at most 20 people will get the offer. The have even taken only 12 people. Ha. What if, what if the hard reality strikes me on my wings and I just, you know, fall and keep falling. Bam. Stuck on the ground. It is crazy that they only want a (strictly) one minute monologue- I mean, how much about myself I can show within one minute? Moreover the monologue I've been working on in my acting class can take, ugh, forever. Time to think about either cutting it or take a bold risk and choose another one and make it good within 12 days. Oh I do am worried. Have I ever worried that much about something before? Yes for sure I do, it was not even long ago. But this time, I mean it is... whatever. If it is going to happen, it will. If not, then tja. There isn't really anything to worry about I guess.

Seems like I have been writing about this a lot. Let me try to talk about something else, eh?

So I managed to watch Jim Jarmusch's Coffee and Cigarettes within one run. Usually I either don't have time (although the movie's barely over 90 minutes) or I fall asleep. The movie is... awkward. Full of awkward encounters of two or three people, somehow full of realism that sometimes nothing extraordinarily interesting happens in life. Towards the end of the movie there were two parts that I have no memory of (I think I have watched the other parts for a thousand times). One is the part with Rza and Gza (or something) and Bill Murray. That part just... it was sort of a 'hey, wake up and chuckle' thing- the movie is pretty slow paced I have to say. Then the last, last segment: Champagne. It was HEAVY. DAMN heavy. I can assure you it is actually the best part of the movie. It features two old guys, supposed to be workers of some sort, having a coffee break. Both of them are OLD. I forgot their names but I am sure I have seen them in other places before (Coffee and Cigarettes feature pretty famous people- Bill Murray, Jack & Meg White, Iggy Pop, Tom Waits, Kate Blanchett (Galadriel from Lord of the Rings), Alfred Molina (the guy in Chocolat)...). Anyway that's not the point. In that Champagne segment, one guy suddenly suggested they should pretend the disgusting coffee they have to be Champagne, and they should act like high class people and celebrate things. After a little exchange of dialogue, the other finally agreed to do so. They were both toasting to the good old days that they remember and such. It was sad enough. Then after the toast was done, the older guy (who suggested the pretending thing) said sth like 'now I have to take a nap. Wake me up when the (coffee) break... is... over...' The other guy told him that, he has only 2 minutes left and snapped his fingers, trying to wake him up. ... the sequence afterwards was powerful:

- close-up shot of the fingers.
- close-up shot of the man sleeping, with weak breathing
- zoom out slowly to:(I think, or maybe simply cut to:)
- the two men sitting on either ends of the square table. No response from the 'sleeping' man.

It was not said if he actually was dead or not... but it's not hard to assume so. After playfully and happily toasting for the good old days with a friend and then peacefully go back to the good old days. Poetic. Tragic. Beautiful.

What was the point of this post anyway? Oh yes, to show off my doodling on my notebook. More to come actually.

Anyway- I shall either sleep or think about how I can cut the monologue down to one minute. I have 12 days. Wish me luck or something. Usually I say things will be fine somehow in the end. This time... I don't know. I do need some divine help I guess.

And let's not forget my mythology final exam... in 6 days.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, April 06, 2006 6:59:00 p.m., Blogger K. said...

thea, oyvind, per and susanne got all accepted to SFU and might be coming. thea and oyvind are taking a year off though...

good luck with all that's left. and btw, i really like the picture you drew

 
At Friday, April 07, 2006 12:50:00 p.m., Blogger Gerbrith said...

Very nice picture... did you manage to cut your monologue?

 
At Saturday, April 08, 2006 1:19:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

park that car
drop that phone
sleep on the floor
dream about me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home