the madcap laughs

...and he sees fairies dancing on the lawn

Monday, March 13, 2006


o I said I will write about something that happened during the little adventure I had. (I am officially obsessed with making those fancy extra large letters... it will probably be like that every post from now on.)

It was a Sunday afternoon. The time was around half past five I believe. It was not that dark afterall- spring is coming soon. As I was walking down the Drive, a weird feeling was surrounding me. In case you don't remember, I talked about the Drive a couple of weeks ago- read it if you wanna. It feels so, old and ruined. As soon as I started walking along the drive, I saw a girl appear like a ghost, without a sound, without footsteps, in front of a sketchy Chinese restaurant. I didn't notice her until I heard her either sniffing the air or sobbing when I walked pass her. I abruptly turned and noticed she got a bruises on her face. She was wearing a hooded pullover and cotton pants. She was hunching her back, standing alone in the shadow. I did not pay too much attention to her as I simply did not care too much. So I went on walking and this time I hear her following me- they are re-making the sidewalk so there was sand and stuff everywhere.

Actually from the moment I noticed her existance I knew she was going to follow me for a little bit. I just knew it and don't ask why. You know, if you were a gazelle, you always knew if you were the target or not when the lions are chasing your pack. A little chill went down my spine actually. From that little glance I had on her earlier before, she had her hands in her pocket and she does look like she's addicted to something real bad. The street was pretty empty and for a second I thought I was going to be mugged. Although I just knew there's no way I will lose even if she had a knife or something- it was just a strange feeling. Partly excitment, partly fear. Then I heard the footsteps sped up double- I was literally ready for the mugging to happen. But then she just pretty much asked if I have a couple of quarters to spare or something like that. Her speech was so blurred that I did not really get what she said. I, very honestly did not have any coins on me, and I don't think I will give her 10 bucks just like that. So (being a bit disappointed that no mugging happened) I said 'sorry I don't' and went on walking. Then the girl went on walking, or rather stumbling until she caught up with a girl walking in front of me, and pretty much mumbled the same thing and got ignored.

At that point I was actually about to call that girl and ask what happened. Honestly, even though she's a thief, whore, robber, junkie, no one has the right to leave such bruises on her face. Even if that would be a guy, I'd still say the same thing. Suddenly I heard a bang. Yes, a fucking bang. And I turned my face to where the bang originated- and I saw something fell down. At that point I thought 'what a joyful and eventful Sunday...' and I realized he who fell down was just a green postbox standing in front of the post office. I was a bit relieved actually- don't think I would want to see someone getting shot just 10 metres away from me. So beside the fallen postbox thing there stood two other kinds of postboxes. And there was a man leaning on them, apparently he has either ran into the boxes or he kicked it delibrately. Before I could figure that out, I heard him swearing incoherently. He was apparently either drunk or high. So I decided it's best not to disturb the poor man. When the man walked away, the girl I saw earlier has disappeared already.

Then as I walked pass closed stores and empty cafés, I saw a homeless guy sitting on the floor. For some reasons I looked into his eyes, and he didn't look sad or miserable at all. Instead he showed me his palms, raised his brows a bit with a slight smile as if he was saying 'man, buy me a coffee if you don't mind'. But really, I did not have any coins and I don't think giving him 10 bucks is very appropriate. So I replied with a smile, showing my palms- saying that I have nothing either. Hell, if I were still smoking I would have given him a cigarette or something.

I actually keep wondering how that girl is doing from time to time. I don't even remember how exactly she looks like. I just think no matter what she did, she doesn't deserve the bruises at all. Well it's a different case if she genuinely hurt herself- I do feel a little bit bad for her actually. I do feel a bit bad for losing focus and losing track of her while I had the impulse to help her. Maybe she was abused? Maybe she was drugged and forced to be a prostitute? Maybe she was trying to escape and asked for coins for a bus ride (although it's the most common 'pick-up' line for begging money...)? Maybe that man who kicked the postboxes was the one who caught her and locked her up? Maybe that's why she suddenly disappeared/ran away? Maybe I was her last hope and I ruined it? Just because I did not have coins by chance, because I suck at focusing, because I did not care enough at the beginning? I could very well have stopped and asked her in detail what exactly happened to her. But I didn't. And when I finally had the impulse to care, that girl wasn't there anymore. Hope she is just a junkie who doesn't deserve that much of my care instead of some ill-fated girl who was drugged, locked up and abused. I might go around and have a look on Wednesday after my audition for the summer job and have a look though. I actually don't even know if I will remember. I will see.

I am thinking too much I guess. But that has actually been bugging me quite a bit.

3 Comments:

At Monday, March 13, 2006 9:47:00 p.m., Blogger K. said...

This post sounded as if from one of Murakami's books.... :))))
I miss the city sometimes, it must feel nice to be able to walk around and take the quiet streets or be lost in a crowd of people - that's what i used to do in the summer when i wanted to think for a while without having my grandma run after me asking me if i wanted anything...

 
At Tuesday, March 14, 2006 10:48:00 a.m., Blogger Tugc said...

I miss city,even a town since i m damn away from every fucking thing..Doesnt matter..
I guess i m stil a weird person who would give 10 bucks even..My mum gets angry with me for not being careful enough..But dont worry, probably that girl did not lose anything, and most probably she forgot about you in the first second..

 
At Thursday, March 16, 2006 9:26:00 a.m., Blogger Zhenia said...

an exciting story... reminds me of myself when I was wondering around Moscow alone... it's actually fun, just to observe strangers, pick some small interesting details and try ti guess who, why, where, when... it's a game of your mind and reality, something that I miss about the city life. But you always have to be careful, the world is full of surprises.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home